Monday, July 9, 2007

Weekend Progress...

I got to sit down for 3 hours with Andy Laties this weekend, learning everything from Standard Operating Procedure to figuring out how to make a higher rent work for you rather than the other way around. Learned that it doesn't matter whether it's a profit or non-profit, and discovered that everything I know and am is an asset and strength to what I'm doing. I was originally worried that, as a designer, wanting a strong arts section could be difficult in this neighborhood - but considering that my strength lies in knowing what art books are of good quality can only assure that there will be a strong arts section that will attract people.

I also re-affirmed that my understanding of groundplans will be essential, and my perfectionist leanings can be an asset to the project, and that partnering up with other businesses can work greatly to my advantage. and lastly, how to establish a good relationship with a local bank.

In very related news, I discovered a new cafe in my neighborhood called Oleput - a step up in cool from Starbucks, serves great desserts and ice creams, and the best Cappuccino milkshake EVER. Plus the ambiance and design sensibility in there is great - may want to have them as part of the team in terms of creating the atmosphere of the store. Plus, they have wireless. and own the Sparrow too...

No comments: