Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Back to Work...and an ethical question...

North Carolina (Winston-Salem, to be exact) was a peaceful trip, and things went smoothly business-wise...and now I return to the Brooklyn crawl....

I was walking down 34th street today and saw that a street vendor was selling Robert Greene's The 33 Strategies of War.  considering that I didn't even know that it had come out, I stopped to take a look...and ended up buying it for $5 cheaper than in a bookstore...was I cheating the business that I am creating? Was I being a shrewd NYer by finding a better deal, means be damned? was I supporting illegal bookselling?  Does it matter?  What is the impact?  and furthermore, what if the impact of my reading it is much greater?  Anyone who has read Robert Greene's books knows that there is a metaphorical aspect to the laws he writes about  - in the Art of Seduction, he could be talking about seducing someone sexually, intellectually, or creatively - as is the same with warfare, or more simply put, conflict.  Conflict will always exist, and the book, as it turns out, centers around strategizing within conflict to come out empowered....given the space I've just relegated to talking about the book realted to about the bookseller, which do you think has ultimately had the bigger impact on the world?

No comments: