Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A new opportunity...

I received a call yesterday from the real estate office that I had called regarding the space on Ditmars and 28th... they're interested in having a bookstore there (which makes my job easier, baing that they're "on my side". Although I was planning on going to the gym, it was something worth skipping in order to get to see it before I go to little Rock this weekend.

The space has a lot of potential....it's a great amount of space, and it's lower ceiling for the back half may actually help give it a greater sense of intimacy.  the price is very reasonable, and the fixer-upper back garage area could make a kick-ass cafe area/reading room. And it has a full glass front facade. I had often wondered how I was going to be able to visualize a space given a bare store, but even with the slats meant for product shelving walls in the way, it's easy to see what you can do with a space.  I almost wish all the money was in place already, as the real estate agents are willing to talk the landlord down...

Once I figure out how to add photos to a blog post, I will update this with pictures (meaning once I have an extra fifteen minutes tomorrow) with ideas and comments.

Better yet, here's the link to the Flickr pictures.

7 comments:

Jen said...

There's a little picture on the toolbar in compose mode. Just click it and it will show you how to upload photos to your blog. Very easy, let me know if you need help.

Best of luck in securing that space! It's sounds great.

megc said...

Which side of Ditmars are you looking at? Trying to visualize where this space might be...

Unknown said...

Oh man -- as you might see by my recent post on Astorians, I've just started tossing this bookstore idea around, and now I see you're well along on a plan! I guess I can come up with a new dream in life... At any rate, I can share the results of the survey I'm doing with you, and I'd love to be in touch more...

Unknown said...

Oh, and you can email me at astoriabookstore at gmail.

Thanks!

megc said...

Jesse, I don't think anyone is really very far along with a bookstore plan. And I'm confused - were you talking to me specifically? I am not involved with any bookstore plans, except as a casual observer.

Unknown said...

Hey there. Best of luck with the bookstore. I'm an Astoria local and a real estate lawyer (specializing in commercial and retail leasing) so let me know if I can be of help.

edava said...

Good luck with the bookstore and please post your progress on astorians.com, as you have a ready and willing community to support an independent bookstore. I'm also confident that many people on the forum would be very interested in helping you get this going re: marketing, design, word of mouth, etc...