Monday, August 20, 2007

Why I'm doing this...

I was browsing through Astorians, a neighborhood forum site, when I came across the section labeled POLITICS/RANTS.  Curious, I decided to see what was up for discussion.

There was a 4 page discussion where a number of people had were taking the stance that Astoria is deteriorating - equating the fact that there are fast food places and convenience stores as a sign that there is no stable family life, or that the large influx of single people is an indicator of a "dorm mentality"...I could go on for a while, but what frustrated me is that a good number of people in the forum discussion were formulating conclusions rather than asking questions...that rather than asking what could be done about what they considered to be "wrong" or "bad", they simply stated their complaint, neglecting the opportunity to get into action.  

In addition, I was wondering what neighborhood they could possibly be talking about.  The only thing that made sense to me was that a good number of these people were only seeing what they wanted to see to reinforce their beliefs.   Yes, yes, I know, we all do that to one degree or another.  I think what bothers me is how much they're missing out on by dismissing the possibilities in the neighborhood, or embracing what is already present.

Molly had asked me the other evening whether Astoria Park is safe at night.  I've always been of the belief that it's basically safe, but as crow is not a bird I like to dine on frequently, i figured, as I was ahead of schedule, to check it out for myself.  On the way there, I was noticing the stores and places that were on the way, and how great they all are - and that the newer cafes and stores have brought more life to the hood than the places that closed before them.  As I got to the park, noticing the restaurant at the north corner, I couldn't imagine a place being there if it weren't safe.  

Walking through the park, I noticed that the paths were well lit, but the lawns were not...that the river was lit and people could enjoy the view.  That middle aged people were walking their dogs, and a couple of people were jogging through the park.There was one hooded guy sitting on a bench that may have been "suspicious", but I've also seen the same guy there in the middle of the day on the weekend.  He is a bit creepy, but I've never seen him stand up - ever.  I also walked past the building we're considering moving into to see how it's lit at night, and was happy to see a lot of light at street level, and a lit terrace up above.

To get to the point from a tangent (is that mathmatically possible? I think so), I'm attempting to create this bookstore because I believe in this neighborhood.  lots of single people is great - have a singles night.  lots of delis are great - advertise at them.  Your home is not you place to deal with, but to shape.  If you don't want to be part of a neighborhood, live in an isolated condo tower.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope you're not considering spending your hard-earned money by buying into the old Eagle Electric building farce that was super-sized by the Pistilli idiots. That place should be demolished and some real 2 family homes put up there instead, ones that reflect the real character of Astoria, not some marketing scheme. Then maybe you would have pride in being a homeowner in Astoria. You won't find anything desireable in that conntraption, I assure you. We walked out from the tour laughing and shaking our heads in disbelief at the whole experience. Absolutely terrible!

Unknown said...

Here's a question, then...what IS the real character of Astoria? is it keeping with tradition of it's roots, or evolving as the community (be it people, places, shops, demographics, social habits) does?