Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The first day.. a first obstacle...and the reason why I'm here.

So, after a unique and exciting afternoon in the Magic Kingdom, done as a treat for myself before getting to work, I wake up earlythe next morning, get dressed in my good suit, and head to the casting center. it's everything I had heard of (the entrance rotunda w/statues, the ramp with murals) and I begin to wait by the reception desk to see if I can set up a walk in interview. after a few minutes, a man walks by, and when asked if I can see someone in professional recruitment, tells me that they (nor the guest services) does walk in interviews.

I was shocked. EVERYONE had told me to do the walk-in...however, everyone I knew had been working there for a few years. Had the job market gotten that competitive? were the pickings that slim? I headed back to the apartment, the wind slowly dissipating from my sails...what do I do know? How am I supposed to get a job now? I had been looking at the professional job boards for weeks, and knew that the pickings were slim. And after getting back, a similar look at the guest services (7.50 an hour jobs) made me feel worse? Would I be stuck here with nothing to do but wait?what would be the purpose? should I just cut my losses and go home? The fact that what I felt was the first and 90% only step in getting a job there, I was at a loss for what to do.

So I napped and went into a daze. I knew it wouldn't help, but I also knew I had to go through it.

The Fiancee texted a bit later to ask how it was going...and I told her. She reminded me that it was only day 1, which at first made me feel worse (what do I do for the next 27 days?) and that there were more ways to go about this that the burecratic way - and in the end, she was a great help. i put a shout out on Facebook to see if anyone knew anyone, I texted my friend inside (who told me he'd check with a friend inside) and I wrote to all the contact people I had within the company.

In addition, I decided to make a list of things I could do to continue to be productive, whether they were Disney or not (freelance, enjoy the parks, etc.) and the reminder to myself to get out of the house, which is so deathly quiet during the day... In the end, I have to remember that I'm here to have fun. I came here because I thought it would be fun to be here and work here, and that if I didn't enjoy it, to go back home. I can sit in front of this computer and search all day for freelance, and names of Disney people, but if I'm miserable doing it, and missing out on all the stuff that I love to do here, it's not worth it. So, off to Epcot!

No comments: